Recent & Upcoming Events and Performances
of music by Ron Hannah
My String Quartet #1 is to be broadcast on WMBR 88.1 FM, Cambridge, Massachusetts, on July 4, 2022 - 4-5:30pm EST. Alley Stoughton hosts her show called "Not Brahms and Liszt", which features music of the 20th and 21st centuries.
My new CD of Chamber Music is receiving airplay and reviews in Europe and North America. It may be streamed and downloaded on Naxos (via the Canadian Music Centre Distribution Service), Spotify, Youtube, and many others I have never heard of! Here is the Youtube ink. Enjoy!
My song cycle, "And Music Dawned Above Despair", following several postponements due to Covid, was finally performed by Nathon Irving, baritone, at their graduating (Master's degree) recital on May 8, 2022, at the Roy Barnett Recital Hall, Univerity of British Columbia, Canada. It was livestreamed too!
Various pieces of mine accompanied a unique dance experience in Saskatoon, Saskatchwan, Canada from October 1 to 3, 2021. The Free Flow Dance Theatre Company's outdoor event had participants follow The Explorer as he tries to capture a photograph of the elusive and mysterious "Kiwanis Cryptid", encountering a number of interesting dance elements along the way. Learn more about this innovative dance company here.
- "Domestic Dialogues" for piano 4-hands was performed by Ron Hannah and Andrea Mellis, at the home of Bevery and Klaus Blaschke in Vienna on July 16, 2021, and again on July 25 at the home of Heike & Tim de Young, in Blumenried, Allgäu, Germany.
The set had earlier (January 28, 2020) been premièred at the studio of Christine Reiter, Vienna.
A concert of various of my song cycles with piano took place, after several postponements, on June 12, 2021 to mark (belatedly) my 75th birthday! Christopher Devine accompanied, and the featured works and singers were:
The concert took place at the Gesellschaft für Musiktheater,
Türkenstraße 19, Vienna
Three movements from my song cycle, "The Dinner-Party", for soprano, clarinet and piano, were performed at the Living Music Summit on June 20, 2021, sponsored by the Boston New Music Initiative. They were part of a program entitled "Bon Appétit". The performers were Danielle Aldach, soprano; Yhasmin Valenzuela-Blanchard, clarinet; and Teng Cao, piano.
My arrangement of "Nunc Dimittis" for SAB and Piano took place on May 23, 2021, as part of "The Love that Defies Reason - Music and Readings for Lent", sponsored by Ensemble Passepartout (Loma Döring, soprano; Andrea Mellis, alto; Florian Sowa, Baritone; Katja Hoffmann-Hazrati, reader; Jeffrey Greiman, piano) at the Salon Brahms, Paniglgasse 5, 1040 Vienna
My second Piano Trio was beautifully recorded on September 4, 2021, by pianist Christopher Devine; violinist Wolfgang David; and cellist Tobias Stosiek. I am most grateful to them!
- "Hundreds and Thousands" - excerpts from my one-woman opera were sung by soprano Susan Young, as part of a Faculty Recital at the University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada, October 10, 2019.
"Ruri, Ruri", choral setting of an Armenian lullaby won the 2019 composition competition sponsored by the Uncommon Music Festival in Sitka, Alaska. It was premièred there, beautifully, by a vocal quartet on August 3, 2019.
It is now published by Performer's Edition.
"Two Songs after Christine de Pisan, for voice and harp, was performed on June 14, 2019, at the Gesellschaft für Musiktheater, Vienna, by Annette Fischer, soprano, and Zsuzsa Aba-Nagy, harp.
My setting of Gretchen's last speech from Goethe's "Faust" for women's chorus (SSA) and piano has been performed several times as part of an event entitled "Aspekte des Gretchen", featuring colleagues and students of Andrea Mellis, director:
Vienna, TheaterArche, June 14, 15, 16, 2019.
Bruck an der Leitha, Austria, Stadttheater, December 13 and 14, 2019
Eisenstadt, Austria, March 2, 2020 (Private school performance)
April 11, 2019: Performance of the 2 opening duets from "Tumble Me Down" (6 songs for alto and baritone on poems of Robert Herrick), were performed by Appolonia Schmidt, alto; Leonard Schaller, baritone; and Franziska Bötzl, piano, at the Berufsfachschule für Musik, Sulzbach-Rosenberg, Germany.
70th birthday recital for Andrea Mellis, May 24, 2019, at TheaterArche, Vienna, featured two of my works:
"Tumble Me Down" (6 songs for alto and baritone on poems of Robert Herrick), complete set performed by Andrea Mellis, alto; Wayne Lempke, bass; and Jeffrey Greiman, piano.
"Piano Trio #2" performed by Christopher Devine, piano; Tobias Stosiek, cello; Hayato Ishibashi, violin.
- My song set, "Trapping Monkeys", for medium-high voice and piano (texts by Gevorg Emin) was premièred by Christine Reiter, soprano, and Kei Endo, piano, on February 16, 2019 at Christine's private "Open Stage", Vienna.
- My SSAATTBB arrangement of "Irish Carol", further arranged to include zither, guitar, bass and recorder, was performed by Vokalensemble Hilpoltstein, conducted by Wayne Lempke, in December, 2018, in Nuremberg and Hilpoltstein, Germany.
- Five of my works have now been used by Montreal artist Claire Venne, as accompaniments to lovely video collages of her artworks. Click on the links below to view them, and to visit my webpages for details about each composition: