Recent & Upcoming Events and Performances
of music by Ronald Hannah
Thursday, March 9, 2023
Popular Journalist, Guido Tartarotti, is to give a reading on March 9, 2023, with musical interludes from my "Suite 75" for piano. Christopher Devine will be the pianist. This is part of the Caprices Festival 2023, and I am honoured that the organisers have chosen my work!
Altes Rathaus (Old City Hall), Wiener Neudorf, Vienna
* * *
Megtestesülés Plébánia Church
29 April, 2023 (TBA)
A most interesting project! I have arranged the solos and choruses of "Ludus Danielis" (Daniel in the Lions' Den), a 13th century liturgical drama, for ancient instruments. Andrea Mellis is the director, and she has had me write for gamba, shawms, sackbut, celtic and gothic harps, chalumeau, various bone flutes, jaw harp, even a tromba marina (ever heard of that?) As well, she gave me permission to be creative in my harmonies as long as the suggestion of the older music remains. And it worked! I must say, I have renewed respect for medieval melodies now. They are vibrant, often very catchy, match their characters well, and often feature charming rhythmic quirks.
The first 2 performances were very well received! see below...
- LUDUS DANIELIS (see below) - Second performance November 21, 2002, Maria-Lourdes Church, Vienna, as part of the Meidlinger Festival of Church Music. Long ovations....
- "Davil's Dance", my novelty/encore piece for violin and piano, was performed by Mikolaj Warszynski and Joanna Ciapka-Sangster on November 13, 2022 at King's University, Edmonton, Canada. Visit the link above for an interesting story about its origin and various recordings.
- "Ruri, Ruri", my setting of an Armenian lullaby for SATB choir was performed by the Vokalensemble Hilpoltstein, at St. Egidien church in Nuremberg, Germany (October 22, 2022), and at the Katholische Stadtpfarrkirche (Catholic Church) in nearby Holpoltstein the next evening, as part of their program entitled Ubi Caritas et Amor. Many thanks to Wayne Lempke, the conductor, who has been a gracious supporter of my music!
- LUDUS DANIELIS (see above) - Première performance September 23, 2002, Baumgarten, Burgenland, Austria, a community that truly supports the arts and loved the production!
My new CD of Chamber Music is receiving airplay and reviews in Europe and North America. It may be streamed and downloaded on Naxos (via the Canadian Music Centre Distribution Service), Spotify, Youtube, and many others I have never heard of! Here is the Youtube link. Enjoy!
My song cycle, "And Music Dawned Above Despair", following several postponements due to Covid, was finally performed by Nathon Irving, baritone, at their graduating (Master's degree) recital on May 8, 2022, at the Roy Barnett Recital Hall, Univerity of British Columbia, Canada. It was livestreamed too!
Various pieces of mine accompanied a unique dance experience in Saskatoon, Saskatchwan, Canada from October 1 to 3, 2021. The Free Flow Dance Theatre Company's outdoor event had participants follow The Explorer as he tries to capture a photograph of the elusive and mysterious "Kiwanis Cryptid", encountering a number of interesting dance elements along the way. Learn more about this innovative dance company here.
- "Domestic Dialogues" for piano 4-hands was performed by Ron Hannah and Andrea Mellis, at the home of Bevery and Klaus Blaschke in Vienna on July 16, 2021, and again on July 25 at the home of Heike & Tim de Young, in Blumenried, Allgäu, Germany.
The set had earlier (January 28, 2020) been premièred at the studio of Christine Reiter, Vienna.