Recent & Upcoming Events and Performances
of music by Ron Hannah
My setting of Gretchen's last speech from Goethe's "Faust" (see below for past performances) for women's chorus and piano will be presented as part of "Aspekte des Gretchen", featuring colleagues and students of Andrea Mellis, director. This is scheduled to take place on March 2, 2020 in Eisenstadt, Austria (a private school performance).
My song cycle, "And Music Dawned Above Despair", is to be premièred by Nathon Irving, baritone and Yolanda Tapia, piano, at Nathon's graduating recital, March 30, 2020. This recital, titled "Love and Other Disasters", will be held at Western University, London, Ontario, Canada.
My new set of "Star Songs", for soprano and string quartet is to be premièred in Vienna on June 23, 2020, featuring the wonderful soprano, Wilma Maller, and members of the Varietas-Ensemble.
Also in June 2020, my small song cycle on poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay - "A Few Figs from Thistles" - will be premièred by Jennifer Coffman, mezzo-soprano, and Graham Yates, piano. This will take place at the Gesellschaft für Musiktheater, Vienna.
- "Domestic Dialogues" for piano 4-hands was premièred by Ron Hannah and Andrea Mellis, at the studio of Christine Reiter, Vienna, January 28, 2020.
- "Hundreds and Thousands" - excerpts from my one-woman opera were sung by soprano Susan Young, as part of a Faculty Recital at the University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada, October 10, 2019.
"Ruri, Ruri", choral setting of an Armenian lullaby has won the 2019 composition competition sponsored by the Uncommon Music Festival in Sitka, Alaska. It was premièred, beautifully, by a vocal quartet on August 3, 2019.
It is now published by Performer's Edition.
"Two Songs after Christine de Pisan, for voice and harp, was performed on June 14, 2019, at the Gesellschaft für Musiktheater, Vienna, by Annette Fischer, soprano, and Zsuzsa Aba-Nagy, harp.
My setting of Gretchen's last speech from Goethe's "Faust" for women's chorus (SSA) and piano has been performed several times as part of an event entitled "Aspekte des Gretchen", featuring colleagues and students of Andrea Mellis, director:
Vienna, TheaterArche, June 14, 15, 16, 2019.
Bruck an der Leitha, Austria, Stadttheater, December 13 and 14, 2019
Further performances are being negotiated.
April 11, 2019: Performance of the 2 opening duets from "Tumble Me Down" (6 songs for alto and baritone on poems of Robert Herrick), were performed by Appolonia Schmidt, alto; Leonard Schaller, baritone; and Franziska Bötzl, piano, at the Berufsfachschule für Musik, Sulzbach-Rosenberg, Germany.
70th birthday recital for Andrea Mellis, May 24, 2019, at TheaterArche, Vienna, featured two of my works:
"Tumble Me Down" (6 songs for alto and baritone on poems of Robert Herrick), complete set performed by Andrea Mellis, alto; Wayne Lempke, bass; and Jeffrey Greiman, piano.
"Piano Trio #2" performed by Christopher Devine, piano; Tobias Stosiek, cello; Hayato Ishibashi, violin.
- My song set, "Trapping Monkeys", for medium-high voice and piano (texts by Gevorg Emin) was premièred by Christine Reiter, soprano, and Kei Endo, piano, on February 16, 2019 at Christine's private "Open Stage", Vienna.
- My SSAATTBB arrangement of "Irish Carol", further arranged to include zither, guitar, bass and recorder, was performed by Vokalensemble Hilpoltstein, conducted by Wayne Lempke, in December, 2018, in Nuremberg and Hilpoltstein, Germany.
- Four of my works have been used by Montreal artist Claire Venne, as accompaniments to lovely video collages of her artworks. Click on the links below to view them, and to visit my webpages for details about each composition: